Conducting a needs assessment is the first step in developing a volunteer management programme. The needs assessment ia a process or tool for identifying and analysing your organisation's needs for volunteers in relation to its vision, mission and programmes.
The importance of doing a proper needs assessment is that it will clarify the various aspects of the work and will help to ensure that the necessary structures and resources are in place. A needs assessment will:
- Determine needs/ gaps in developing or improving programme plans.
- Check whether the programme intervention responds to identified needs.
- Ensure availability of needed resources to support the program, for example, logistical needs. transport allowance, stipend, and how these can best be used.
- Decide when and how the programme is to be implemented, and how to raise funding and resources for the work.
- Use the needs assessment as a basis for evaluating the progress of an existing programme.