The existence of written task descriptions for volunteers will guide you as a supervisor in managing the volunteers during their placement period and will also help to ensure that the programme is implemented well. a written task description is an expression of a professional, well-defined and meaningful assignment for potential volunteers. Writing up a task description will also direct you in the process of:
- Recruiting and screening the right volunteers for the required task.
- Allowing volunteers to decide whether the task description siuts them.
- Matching volunteers on the basis of the qualifications and skills required for the task.
- Conducting a volunteer performance evaluation.
- Assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of the overall programme.
Roles and responsibilities must be explained, including the host organisation's expectations. A copy of the task description must be provided to the volunteer and should be reviewed regularly as it will form the basis for evaluating performance.